Monday, May 25, 2015

2015 Hagaman Memorial Day Parade
10/365

In our rural upstate NY area, many of the small towns sponsor Memorial Day parades.  They aren't super-well attended, nor are they blockbuster parades, but they still show home-town patriotic pride. My granddaughter belongs to her middle school band, and they were scheduled to march in the Hagaman parade this year.   

In all the years I've photographed my kids performing in marching bands, it never fails to surprise me that they are always on the other side from where I'm standing.  This year was no different.  The granddaughter was on the other side and the rows were so close together I couldn't even get a group shot of her.  The parade made a loop around the street and I got there in time to see them coming back in the other direction.  Even though I was on the right side that time, they went by so fast and so tight I still couldn't get a photo.  Oh well, maybe next time.

I did get one of the band as it approached though.  I was pleasantly surprised at how good they are.


While I was waiting for the parade to start, I did my usual people-watching.




Hubby did his usual ride through on his motorcycle.  The dog did his usual back-seat driving. 



1 comment:

Trisha said...

I LOVE your crowd shot of a typical family waiting for the parade to begin! Love the posturing of each family member…what a story it tells! I especially love the bored, “ho-hum” look of the young teenage daughter…looks like she just wants to get the whole thing over with. Love, too, the American flags they each have…and how they are holding their flags. How cute, too, father and son look…both wearing red baseball caps. I also love the plaque in the background with the name “Hagaman”…it gives the viewer a clue as to where this scene takes place. One more “love”…the empty chair on the far right. Makes me wonder whose chair it is…and where did that person go? Very nice shot!!!

I really like your other shots, too. The fireman handing out American flags…love how you captured both the giver's and the receiver's hands on the flag at the same time. Great timing! Really love the image of your husband and dog on the motorcycle, too. Your dog's expression is so cute…and I love how you captured part of another motorcycle and flag just ahead of your husband…it gives perspective to the image. This photo is a keeper…you should have it printed and mounted on your wall! :-)

I can empathize with your frustration on not getting a shot of your granddaughter marching in the band…I remember those days (and parades) very well! Happy, though, that you were at the parade to support your granddaughter…I’m sure it meant a lot to her as well.

P.S. I was hoping you would post some parade photos, and you didn’t disappoint me!