Thursday, June 23, 2016

Spruce Mt. Hike
6/366

Another beautiful day, another beautiful hike.    Trish, MaryLou and me.


There's a little dispute about how long this hike is.  My ADK book, which is a 1994 version (the most current one I could find) indicates that the trail is 1.1 miles one way.  The trailhead sign said the trail is 1.3 miles one way.  The sign-in had a flyer with some updated info and it said the trail is 1.4 miles each way, but to top it off, Trish's fitbit showed it to be almost 5 miles round-trip while my fitbit showed a little under 4 round-trip.  So....in the spirit of compromise Trish and I decided to call it 4.5 miles round trip so we could have bragging rights.

Anyway, it's a great trail.  A lot of ascent, but many switchbacks and smooth going.
On the way we met a woman and her dog.   (altogether we only saw about 5 different people)

Maizie is a rescue dog.  I've had her for about 1.5 years and she's about 3
now.  She doesn't like men and she's nervous about the walking
sticks.
I've hiked the 46 high peaks and a lot of trails in the Catskills.
I had a very nasty divorce a couple of years ago and I started hiking
then as therapy.  My two girls want to start hiking again, so I figured
I should get back in shape so I can go with them.

There's absolutely no view at the top unless you climb the fire tower.  This one has 97 steps.  It's amazing how much harder it is to climb steps than to go up a trail.




On the way down, Trish reminded us that today was the 1-year anniversary of when she started hiking with us.  Yay for that.  What a great addition she's been to our group.

Happy Anniversary Trish!!


1 comment:

Trisha said...

Another beautiful day, another beautiful hike, another beautiful blog posting! :-)

You did an awesome job of capturing yesterday's hike, Linda...thank you for the memories! Thanks, too, for the anniversary wishes and kind words. I'm so grateful to be part of your hiking group!!! <3