Friday, March 16, 2018

WHAT A WINTER!!
4/365

This is the first time in 10 years that I've spent the winter in upstate NY.  What a mistake!  It has been cold and very snowy.  Seems like we've had one storm a week.

One saving grace is that my hiking friends and I have been doing some snow-shoeing.  This is my first experience with it.  I didn't think I'd like it, but it's more fun than I expected it to be.
Sometimes we don't need snowshoes, we can use our spikes instead.  I prefer the spikes if the trail is tamped down by snowmobiles, otherwise it's pretty necessary to use snowshoes.

We've been trying to go out once a week.  One week we had to cancel because the weather was so bad.  One week we went to the local golf-course instead of driving north to a trail. Most of the time we've managed to dodge the bad-weather-bullet: a storm the day before and more snow the day after.

Another storm is forecast for next week (third week in March).  We're all weary of it, but another storm guarantees a few more weeks of snowshoeing.  Another storm guarantees more water in the wells and farm fields. Another storm guarantees a real appreciation of Spring when it finally arrives. So I guess there's an up side to it all.  Sigh.



Some hikers we met along the trail


Hunting Lodge


1 comment:

Trisha said...

LOVE all of your photos, but especially the ones of you and Jane! Looked like an awesome hike...sorry I had to miss it!