Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Day of Orange and Blue

My friend and I spent the afternoon in Haleiwa. We had lunch first and then parked the car and walked around to "see what we could see". Along the way, she suggested that we each concentrate on a color. We pulled colors out of a "hat"--actually it was balled-up pieces of napkin with different colors written on them, and they were scattered on the top of a table. No hat available, but "necessity is the mother of invention". She laughed, but it worked.

She pulled blue and I pulled orange. "hmmmm", I thought, "that's not going to be an easy color to find, nor is it very exciting, sure wish I had pulled blue, but that's the luck of the draw".

From the get-go everywhere I looked I saw orange. Probably wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't been specifically looking for it.

The sun was really bright and in most of the shots I took, the orange looked yellow. Her blues, however, looked good. So we managed to occupy ourselves for quite a while with this project. One of my first shots is this image below. It's part of a poster in a store window.

One of my favorite places to go for coffee or snacks in Haleiwa is called the Coffee Gallery. I mentioned it last year while I was here. They have an inside seating area, but they also have this outdoor area, which, when it isn't too hot (as, in the summer-hot) it's a really fun place to sit and relax. Very "Gilligan's Island" looking.

This is just a fountain as seen through the louvered window of a gift shop.

As we were getting ready to head home, we saw this VW bug. One of the originals. This certainly looks like an Island car, doesn't it? And it is "blue" and "orange"--how convenient for us both.

2 comments:

trishalyn said...

Nice photos...and I really enjoyed hearing about your day! The "color" assignment sure brought back memories...that was our very first "MVP" assignment...do you remember? And guess what color I had? Yup...orange! It's amazing how many orange things you can find when you really look! :-)

Please keep posting!!!! :-)

Bridget said...

i feel like i am in hawaii again...and i have never been there!
love the vw.
thanks for bringing us a little sunshine:)