Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sunset at the Beach

Another sunset shift at the beach as Honu Guardian yesterday. I mentioned in a previous post that the volunteers are there to keep people from harassing the turtles. Well, we really do more than that. There's a large element of education as well. People have all sorts of questions about the turtles, and the volunteers are there to answer those questions, hopefully, or direct the person to where they can get the answer. So in addition to being on the beach at a beautiful time of day, there's a lot of interaction with the people who visit the beach.

Fact: these Hawaiian Green Sea Turtles do not mate or lay their eggs here on the beach on Oahu.

Fact: the turtles can stay submerged for between 4-5 hours before surfacing for air.


Just a sunset shot, and one of the surf.


I think I just might be in another part of the island in the next few days, and maybe I'll get some images other than turtles worth posting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The ones of the turtles are so nice..the face of the one looks so composed and at ease..BUT My favorites are the one of the sea and the surf...ooooo I wanna pack and get there.....i would spend my time sitting and staring at the ocean and probably "glance" at the turtles... J

trishalyn said...

I totally agree with "Anonymous"!!!

Absolutely LOVE all of these, but the sea/surf are my favorites, too.

Any room at the inn? :-) ENJOY YOUR TIME IN PARADISE!!!

Bridget said...

i am with the other 2.
gorgeous sea shots!