Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Saturday in NYC

Last Saturday I joined some friends on a bus trip to NYC. It was one of those beautiful days when you can falll in love with wherever you live, even the city. The bus let us off at Bryant Park and we quickly found the subway that would take us to the

The idea was to walk across the bridge. Even though I grew up in the Bronx, I don't think I ever saw the Brooklyn Bridge and I was eager to make the walk, especially after seeing photos that some of my other photographer friends had taken.

The walk is 1.3 miles according to one of my walking partners. It seemed to take us forever because every two feet I had to stop and take some more photos, in addition to the fact that there must have been a million people (well...that might be a slight exaggeration) who had the same idea that we did. The foot traffic was amazing, not to mention that the walkway was divided into two parts--one for walkers and one for joggers and bicyclists. Take my word for it, you don't want to stray into the cycling lane for even a second. Those people were seriously into their sport and they didn't slow down even if there was someone walking in their lane.

There's a sweet little park on the Brooklyn side of the bridge, and the photo below was taken from there.

While in Brooklyn, we stopped at a nice pub for lunch, then headed to the park where we got ice-cream and took some more photos. Then we walked back to NY--in record time I might add since we were tired by then and not as interested in taking photos along the way. We took the subway back to Bryant Park and spent some time just sitting at the tables, people-watching. The next photo is of a building across the street from the park.

For those who remember the Jackie Gleason show, I guess this phrase has become a landmark for Brooklyn.

The next photo is of a building that's part of Pace University. Those curves are not painted on the facade, they're part of the structure of the building. So interesting. (I still haven't figured out why my photos won't enlarge when you click on them, so I'm sorry you can't see this image larger).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

these are striking photos..I kind of liked the one with the people gathered and the chess game going on...jean

Bridget said...

looks like you had a beautiful day in the city!
i am impressed by your brooklyn bridge pix.it is so photogenic but really elusive when it comes to getting a great shot.
nicely done!

trishalyn said...

These are beautiful!!! You have a wonderful gift of capturing interesting perspectives and angles. How lucky that the sky was a pretty blue, too!

I thought of you on Saturday. I hoped you were having a good time, and was looking forward to your images and story. I wasn't disappointed! :-)

Framing Images and Memories said...

How I love the city! What great photos..walking the bridge is on my 'bucket list'. All of your photos are terrific with the blue skies and the angles used. Below, your autumn photos are also wonderful. I like the fog laying across the hills.

J.L.Velez said...

I agree...your angles are great and the blue sky is enchanting. I love the lines of the bridge intersecting with city life, very cool!