Friday, March 15, 2013

A Good Read
31/365

These images are just random.  My post today is about a book I just started yesterday, but as I've mentioned, I hate to post on my blog without images.  

The first two images were taken when my friend and I took the chance to visit a small beach that neither of us had ever been to.  It was pretty unproductive.  Her mission was to collect sea shells and mine was to collect good images.  It was a bust for both of us, although the day was beautiful, we had a great time together and we ended the "adventure" by stopping at Hilo Hatties for a Dole Whip. (pineapple soft-serve--I had mine as a twist with vanilla soft-serve)

The last image was taken on another day, with other friends, in Waialua.  There was a business with beautiful mosaic pictures decorating the sides of the building.




So....about the book.  The title is "Back When We Were Grownups" by Anne Tyler.  She's one of my favorite authors.  Her writing is quirky and funny and winsome and touching.  

The book begins with a family picnic in progress.  The picnic is in celebration for a recent engagement.  The family members are dysfunctional quirky and you're quickly introduced to them and all their weirdness.

The mom is trying to keep the joy going against great odds.  A situation occurs.  The author writes:

"And that is when the first intimation came to Rebecca from nowhere, brushing across her mind like the most delicate of moth wings.
How on earth did I get like this?  How?  How did I ever become this person who's not really me?"

I always wonder how the author knows my thoughts.  The book is a good read.
(My favorite book by Anne Tyler is "Ladder of Years")

1 comment:

trishalyn said...

I'd say you had a very productive day! :-)