Thursday, March 14, 2013

Macadamia Nut Farm
30/365

Yesterday my friend and I took a trip around the island.  Our first stop was the Hukilau Cafe (made famous in the movie "Fifty First Dates").  Several years ago I went on a mission to locate this place, only to sadly discover that the cafe in the movie was a screen set, not the actual cafe.  The rumor I heard was that they paid for the name, but once the movie was done, they demolished the building.

Hmmmm, I'm thinking that if I owned the Hukilau, I would have made a deal to take over the movie-set cafe, but what do I know.  I'm sure there were all kinds of legal hoops to jump through.

Anyway....after breakfast, we continued our drive around the north shore to get to the Macadamia Nut Farm.  Not only does it specialize in, yup, you've got it, Macadamia Nuts of varying varieties and Hawaiian coffees, but they conduct "tours" through the property, ending with a little adventure on a flat-bottomed boat and a small performance at the amphitheater.

Unfortunately, two days a week they only conduct one tour a day.  You probably can guess where this is going.  We arrived on one of those two days and an hour too late.  Sigh.  Well, we'll just have to make another trip there.

But in the meantime, we tried to make lemonade of the lemons, and we managed to get a few shots of this "chief" conversing with a customer, and hamming it up with the ladies.




1 comment:

trishalyn said...

Ooooh,..I love these! Great portraiture...and the lighting is beautiful! Terrific background in that last shot, too...it really works well with your subjects. I'd say you made at least a gallon of lemonade! :-)