Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Congress Park

Last Saturday I had some errands to do in Amsterdam, so I decided to take my camera gear along and check out a cemetery that I'd been wanting to stop at for some time. The cemetery was a bust--hardly any statues, and the ones that were there were pretty high up in the air.


Since I was out already and it was such a beautiful day, I decided to take a ride to Saratoga--hadn't been there in a very long time. I figured I'd go to Congress Park and see what I could see.

I love these spitting statues, and even though the photos aren't particularly creative, I like them.






I was hoping to do a lot of infrared at Congress Park, but it was late in the afternoon by the time I got there. There was also a lot of shade in the park, so the infrared didn't work too well, but I managed to get this shot and one other that I really like.




I spent some time walking around the park, then decided to head home. It was such a great day weather-wise that I didn't even feel too badly about not finding much to photograph.


Last week I found a photographer's web site that was interesting. He posts one image a day--I think that's such a good idea. Even when nothing out-of-the-ordinary happens, or there isn't anything especially exciting going on, the challenge to make at least one photograph and post it is intriguing.


It puts a different spin on posting to the blog. It puts a different spin on photographing my life and experiences. Instead of waiting for the interesting/exciting/unique photograph to present itself through different activities and locations, it now becomes my responsibility to create the interesting/exciting/unique even in the commonplace situations I deal with each day.

This is not to say that I can't post more than one image on any given day--just that on those days that I would characterize as ordinary and boring, I would have to stretch my vision to find something to photograph and post.

So that's my new goal--I won't gnash my teeth if I fall short some days--but it will be fun to try and keep it up for a while. Wonder what I'll find on my journey?

Aloha

No comments: