Thursday, December 24, 2009

I Was Really Clever

It is Christmas Eve, 2009. Another year has passed and is almost over. Wonder how that happened? I seem to be saying that a lot lately. Many years have passed since I graduated from college. How did that happen? My oldest child is that old but what's puzzling is that my youngest child is this old. HOW did that happen? Even more confounding is that my oldest grandchild is almost in high school. Good grief--there can't even be an answer as to HOW that happened? I swear I didn't blink, but it sure seems like I had my eyes closed a lot. Sigh.

Anyway, back to Christmas eve. It's also my daughter's birthday. I was really clever, having her born on Christmas eve, don't you think? We always celebrated her birthday as a separate entity (unlike those I've heard of who say on Christmas morning, "Oh, here's your gift--it's for your birthday and Christmas"), but there were times when it was really a stretch to fit a separate party into the holiday preparations.

Once she was older and married, it became a really pleasant situation, at least for me, even if she doesn't agree. We would all go to Christmas Eve service, then back to my house for her birthday cake and presents. It added a little pizazz to the evening.

This year we decided to do things just a little differently. We met for an early dinner at Ruby Tuesday's and had a wee birthday celebration there. Very nice--no cooking, no cleaning, no stress.

After dinner we all went to Christmas Eve service.

CHRISTMAS

The day Jesus was born to die

The day Jesus was born to die a horrific death

The day God sent His Son into the world to atone for our sins

Thank God for Christmas



I hope you all have a Merry Christmas as you enjoy your families and contemplate the amazing sacrifice that God made when He sent His Son to earth, and a Blessed New Year.

2 comments:

Jason St. Peter said...

Very nice story. It is early and now Christmas. Peace be with you.

Trisha said...

Love the last image of the candles!!! Good for you for going to Christmas Eve service...and sharing with the rest of us!

Merry CHRISTmas!