Saturday, December 05, 2009

It Started Out Okay....

Today dawned (if that's what you want to call it), grey and dreary--no surprise for upstate NY--but around 34 degrees, which is really quite tolerable for winter. I had to go join some other folks at church this morning to help decorate the sanctuary for the winter/Christmas season. I left the house wearing only an extra sweater, carrying along another layer just in case it got colder later in the day. So it started out okay.

After decorating, I had to do some shopping. I had all afternoon to browse, so I took my time wandering throughout the store. But when I reached the cashier at the front of the store, all I could do was stare and I began, mentally, to count the days until my plane leaves for Hawaii.

It was SNOWING!!!!!!!!!! Aaaargh. Fortunately it wasn't sticking to the roads at that point--obviously we don't have the snow tires on the car yet, that would be too sensible. So I finished my errands and returned home.

It kept snowing, hmmmmm.

As I was getting ready to write this post, it occurred to me that snow is kind of like art. Remember I mentioned that one man's art is another man's junk and vica versa? Well, one man's (or woman's in this case) dreaded weather is another's joy. I know people who actually like the snow and count the days all summer until they can ride their snowmobiles or go snow skiing again. And I'm sure the ski resorts are rejoicing too.

So, go ahead and smile, those of you who have been waiting for this. I'll just keep counting the days...


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're going BACK to hawaii?...how do i get into this program?..i really want to know.

i love hawaii!

Linda said...

I love getting comments, but when you post one as anonymous and then ask a question, I don't know who to answer back to.

I love Hawaii too and would live there (at least for a few years) if I could. God may work that out, or not. But at least I get to go for a few months. Most people go to Florida for the winter. I go to Hawaii.

trishalyn said...

"A picture is worth 1,000 words" certainly applies to these beauties.

My favorite is the 2nd image. Snow covered pumpkins tell a story that needs no words. I love the composition...and shooting thru your screen door left a cool looking imprint on your image...a filter, applied the old-fashioned way!

Nice job!!! :-)

Framing Images and Memories said...

If only we could keep temps in the high 30s minimum and have an inch of snow here and there. Get on that plane before you see worse!

philmary said...

Second composition is nice there look like three shape/textures which are complimentary