Thursday, February 18, 2010

Makapuu Lighthouse

I forgot to post these photos last week. I took a friend of mine to the light house on the windward side of the island. It's really beautiful along that coast, so we first stopped at a lookout point to see the view. This beach is the one that was used in the movie, "From Here to Eternity". There were some bathers down there enjoying the relative solitude.

At the top of the light house trail, Chrissie took a break to enjoy the breeze and the beauty around her.

Every time I take this short hike to see the lighthouse, I'm amazed at the the cactus growing along the path. I would never expect to see cactus in Hawaii, especially on the windward/rainy side, but there it is.

There's no access to the walkway around the base of the lighthouse, but the overlook provides a very clear view of the structure. This is the lighthouse that was used in the movie, "50 First Dates".

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know me and lighthouses...I enjoyed these shots...also seeing Christy.

trishalyn said...

Great photos!!! I enjoyed all of them...and your comments were interesting.

My favorite...and the one that evoked the most emotion...is the cactus image. I LOVE the layers created by that composition! Also, a sense of calmness washed over me as I viewed that image. The ocean mesmerizes me! You are one lucky lady!!! :-)

Bridget said...

the first and last are gorgeous!!!!
i am glad you are enjoying your time in beautiful hawaii!

Anonymous said...

Breathtaking! Will you take me with you next year? Love, Kim

philmary said...

The cactus is very neat <<Where have I seen the picture of turtles eating them?