Tuesday, February 16, 2010

2010 Great Aloha Run

Today, President's Day, was the Great Aloha Run in Honolulu, Hawaii. It's an 8.2 mile run, which is open to runners, walkers, stroller pushers and any combination thereof. We left the house at 4:45 am (for the 7 am starting time) and spent 2 hours traveling the 15 mile route to the stadium where we were scheduled to get the bus to shuttle us to the starting point. Yeah, I guess they weren't too organized this year--I think we made the last group of shuttle buses...

Anyway, my hosts, Betty and Britt and I posed for a photo before we got started. Britt ran the majority of the route, so once we passed the starting line we didn't see him again until we met him at the car at the stadium.



There were bands along the way, mostly school marching bands, but this one was awesome. It was hard to get photos of it since they were backlit....




It took Betty and I 2 hours and 25 minutes to complete the 8.2 mile course. I'm pretty happy with the time, but I was hurting when we finished. (it was actually about 9 miles with the the walk to the Start Line, and walking around the stadium after the Finish Line.) After a few hours I felt good again, and am definitely glad I did it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEY!Photo's of Linda, Smiling..looking good....I was so delighted to see my dear 'sister;' and know you did well .that photo of the youngster and the drum..was really neat..
Love, J

Trisha said...

Great photo essay! My favorite image is the girl with the drum. You used the backlighting to your advantage...I love the partial silhouette look to that one.

Congrats on your accomplishment, too! You ROCK!!! :-)

Bridget said...

i am with the other girls, the drummer girl was a real winner.
5 miles!
good for you!!!!!