Saturday, February 27, 2010

Tsunami on the Way

Yesterday (Feb. 27) there was an 8.8 earthquake in Chile. The repercussion of that earthquake is a Tsunami that is headed straight for Hawaii with the west coast of the mainland expecting to feel tsunami effects. As I write this, the projected time for the arrival of the tsunami here on Oahu is only 40 minutes away.

The coastal areas of Oahu have been evacuated. People living in apartment buildings or staying in hotels are advised to go higher--3rd story or above. No traffic is being allowed into certain coastal areas, although they will not prevent anyone from leaving. Stores have been inundated with shoppers stocking up on emergency items since early this morning. Gas stations have had long lines, also since early this morning.

I'm on high ground. Leah is on higher ground. Others that we know living near the coast have relocated themselves and are staying with families from church.

I'm house-sitting for a friend who is on the mainland and is supposed to arrive in Honolulu around 4:30 this afternoon. (last word on the Honolulu airport was that planes could land, but passengers would probably have to hang at the airport until the all-clear is sounded) Her dog had to be walked this morning, so I headed over there early this morning. I didn't have to go on any coastal road, so my trip was pretty uneventful. I'm glad to be back home, though.

I needed to make a stop at Walmart first. It was early, and we're not in a danger zone, so I figured it wouldn't be too busy. I was right & wrong. It was busy, but not out of control.

After getting what I needed, I was standing on line thinking I should take some photos. Well, I just happened to have my point & shoot in my purse--dead batteries though. Dang it!! So I put the camera back in my purse and pouted. Then the lightbulb went on. BUY SOME BATTERIES, YOU DUFUS!!! So I did and went about the happy business of taking photos and recording the situation in Walmart.

Following are some of the images I took.

Empty milk case, but for goodness sake, there are still a few gallons of chocolate milk left. What's up with that??

Everyone was very calm and orderly.

So!!! People were buying milk, soda, Spam, bread, bottled water and juices, other non-perishables and easy-to-eat foods in anticipation of a power outage. I, on the other hand, decided to keep my priorities straight. I went for the really important stuff. No fooling around for me.

Okay! Only about 1/2 hour until arrival time. This will be an interesting adventure, to say the least. There was a long time between the first warnings last night, and the reality of the tsunami this morning. Praise God for the technology that enables us to be alerted to some of these events early, thus providing enough time to prepare well in order and save lives and property.

2 comments:

trishalyn said...

We've been glued to our TV, watching and worrying about everyone in Hawaii, especially you and your daughter. I decided to check your blog, Linda, never, ever expecting anything to be there! So glad to hear from you and know you are on high ground and that Leah is safe, too.

Keep us posted...and remember, some photos just aren't worth the risk, so please stay safe!!! :-)

Bridget said...

so happy to hear you are ok.
you were on my mind all day yesterday.
when they gave the all clear sign for hawaii i was so relieved.
the walmart pix were pretty interesting.
take care!