Saturday, March 27, 2010

Another Trip to the Big Island

A few days ago I was assigned to go to the Big Island for another job. Six of us, altogether, boarded the plane one afternoon. Again, my point-and-shoot saved the day. While waiting for take-off and trying not to fall asleep, I practiced taking stealth photos. Holding it up in the air and pointing it toward the seat behind me, I snapped a few shots and amazingly got some decent images of two of my co-workers diligently working out details on the job ahead of us.

Even now they don't know I got these shots, but they will as soon as I get them printed and make a collage with them.



After we finished the job the next day, we had enough time to do a little sightseeing, which was nice because I haven't had the chance to get to the Big Island on my own this year. The first place we stopped is one of the black-sand beaches. I've heard so much about it and was glad we went there. All I can say now is, "been there, done that" and don't have to do it again. Interesting, but that's about it.

Then we headed over to Volcano Park. This image below shows one of the craters with some small volcano action in the far back. There are walking trails along the rims on each side, and I saw people walking right through the center of the crater toward the opening way back. I don't know how far they could actually go, but it would have been interesting to take the walk if we had had time.

A closer view of the volcanic steam spewing from the eruption.

We continued on through the park to the end of the road. From this point you can hike another three miles to the edge of the island. At that point, the lava pours into the ocean and from what I've been told, if you hike out there at night you can see the glow of the lava. During daylight it's too far away to see it.

It was a "hard day's work", but a great day's sightseeing. God created the most amazing world, and it was a blessing to be able to see some more of it first hand.

6 comments:

Bridget said...

love the stealth photo!
your coworkers will be so surprised.
i am again amazed by the beauty of hawaii.
i feel i have seen so much og it through your cameras eyes.
my fav is the 2nd to the last.

trishalyn said...

I love the stealth photo, too (maybe a future assignment?)! :-)

These are all beautiful images of Hawaii. Like Bridget, I am thankful for the opportunity to see its beauty through your camera. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I have loved all your photo's of Hawaii..and these are really top drawer..I always delight in seeing the clouds from above...awesome and the ones of the beaches and volcano really brought back memories of being there..wonderful...you got some really exciting shots...
Look for the green 'sand' sometime..unusual and fun for something different. jean

Framing Images and Memories said...

I can't add to the comments that would be any more inspiring but then again you seem to be full of inspiration from the sights you are seeing! Beautiful.

J.L.Velez said...

I like the one looking at the clouds out of the plane window and the last one with the sea cliffs. It sure is a magnificent creation He gave us, isn't it?

philmary said...

The power and expanse of the land you explore brings me back to how I used to feel about Maine. You probably recall that in Maine there is much ocean based industry but little natural wild life..Hawaii seems the reverse ..much wild life but not that much ocean based industry..

The image of the stormy cliffs and the Pali Overlook are Awesome..sends a chill up my spine