Friday, February 01, 2008

February 1, 2008
Can you believe it's Feb. 1 already? For the first time in my life, I'm wishing the winter months wouldn't go so fast.
Yesterday I headed out with all my camera gear and full intentions of shooting silhouettes for an assignment I have. I was heading for downtown Honolulu when I passed Ala Moana beach and heard it calling my name. So instead of photographing architecture, I wound up laying on the beach. Not a bad trade-off!
I just happened to have my infrared camera with me, so I played around with that so I could see what beach scenes would look like in infrared. This is the one I'm most satisfied with.


I turned around to see what was behind me and saw these trees that ran along the sidewalk at the edge of the sand.

It was another one of those very strange rain days. The sun was shining full force, but about every 20 minutes it would begin to rain, with the sun still shining. Since I was in a bathing suit, getting wet at the beach wasn't a big deal, except I was trying to read, and had to keep putting the book away and making sure the camera wasn't getting wet. Then 5 minutes later it would stop raining--get the book out, wipe off the glasses, dry my hands, read for 15 minutes and then the rain would begin again. Finally, as the sun was getting lower in the sky, I gave up.

I drove a short distance to Magic Island, the area where I was when I photographed the fireworks a few weeks back.

This is almost the exact position I was in when I caught the fireworks. Diamond Head is off in the distance. This is the area where the sailboats, kayaks and canoes pass by on their way into and out of the harbor.

I'm pretty sure that these canoers were a school group. There were half a dozen or so canoes like this with young people practicing. It was fun watching them. It's probably something I would have been interested in doing when in school.

And then one last view.

canoe=Waa (wa a)

canoe race=Heihei waa (hei hei wa a)

No comments: