Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2008



IT'S OFFICIAL!!







I've found my avocation while I'm here on Oahu. I'm officially a volunteer honu guardian--not so sure about "naturalist", but that's what the badges say. I attended my training session, and I did two sessions where I "shadowed" other volunteers, and now I'm good to go. The funny thing is I feel like I don't know anything, but in reality, the information I do know is more than anyone visiting the beach knows.



Yesterday when I was at the beach there were 6 turtles basking. Hadn't seen that many at once before. These two stayed snuggled the entire afternoon. The other four were scattered around in various places. I left at about 7:30 pm and none of them were showing any indication of wanting to head back into the water.










This other volunteer isn't sleeping, honest. He wanted to get some close-up and personal photos of that turtle--guess he's a new guy and Patrick wanted to document the patterns on his face, since that's how they often identify the turtles if there're no other markings.








So once the sun began to go down, it was hard to resist taking some more photos. There wasn't much sky/cloud action, so I only took a few shots of that. I didn't have my tripod, so I knew it wouldn't look too good anyway.



Leah called me this morning and asked if I'd like to come spend some time with her while she was recovering from the flu. Oh sure, I had nothing better to do than "share the germs". She was up all night throwing up and called in sick to work. By the time I got there around 11, she was feeling better. I made some chicken soup and we watched Breakfast at Tiffany's and ate soup. (Neither of us could figure out why that movie was such a hit...) I left around 2 so she could rest some more. She was planning on going to work at Brew Moon this afternoon since she was feeling so much better.

Aloha

No comments: