Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2008



More Waves and More Turtles


Yesterday (Monday) morning I headed up to Laniakea Beach to take my turn with the turtles. It was another excellent day, not only weather-wise, but turtle-wise. There were 7 on the beach at once. The tourists were having a great time. And I took way too many photos of the creatures again. They so seldom move that when they do I feel like I have to document every fraction of an inch, whether they just raise their head for a minute, or a flipper, or actually scoot themselves along the beach. It's like every time I see a deer at home, I act like I've never seen one in my life before.















One lady who stopped by for a while said that she used to live in Florida and she did volunteer work with the turtles there. That was an area where the turtles mated and laid their eggs, so she got to see them laying and burying the eggs and also got to see the eggs hatch. How awesome!



I took this infrared shot about a week ago, but it's at the same beach so I thought I'd include it here.









It was glorious day weather-wise, as I mentioned before, and I wasn't in any hurry to leave. Kristine needed a ride to the airport and we had to leave by 5, so by 2 I packed up and made a quick trip up the road to the beach where they hold the Pipe Masters competition. I had been there once before, but not for a while. The waves were beautiful. No swimming allowed because of the rough surf, but there were surfers out there waiting for "THE" wave.














I didn't get any good shots of the surfers, but this one is passable as long as I keep it small. I like it because it shows the perspective of the surfer and the wave. I know it's not the wave or the photo of-the-year, but I think it gives you a good idea of nature vs. man.





I haven't posted an Hawaiian lesson lately so here goes:


kamakane=male child, boy, son

ohana=family (think I posted this back in Jan)

makana=gift

kaikamahine=girl

kanake=candy

hiwahiwa=precious, beloved (one of the turtles is named Hiwahiwa)


Aloha for now...
By the way, every post gives you the opportunity to leave a message or comment. Just click on the "leave a comment" at the end of the post. I check regularly, so I can reply if necessary to any comments that you leave.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda,
Pictures are gorgeous. Getting about a foot of snow here today in Johnstown- Im jealous of you!
Steve

Linda said...

Thanks again Steve. I keep hearing from everyone that it's just snow, snow, snow, and I'm not one bit sorry I'm missing it.