Tuesday, March 18, 2008

March 17, 2008
HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY
Before I came to Hawaii, I was reading my Guide Book one day and came across the fact that there's a St. Patty's Day parade in Honolulu. I was flabbergasted. It seemed just a little out of character for Hawaii, but sure enough, there IS a parade, albeit a small one. (I think Fonda and Johnstown have more in their parades) It sounded like it was going to be huge... Let's see, there were old cars, about two floats, the Marine Color Guard, the Marine Band, two school bands, the Red Hat Society Ladies, some bagpipers (which I completely missed), not necessarily in that order, and the Honolulu bicycle police bringing up the rear.

Chelsea and I got to the starting point about an hour ahead of time--that's where we got the best pictures... especially of the cars. I love the hood ornament on this MG.

I think these two men were bagpipers, but as I said, I completely missed them. Chelsea said they were first to begin the parade and at that point I was down the line a little photographing cars.

There were a lot of these gals and they sure looked like they were having a good time.

Marine Color Guard. Just sooo awesome!

Marine Band. They sounded awesome--sent chills up and down my arms. They got much applause along the route. Disappointingly, there were no other military bands in the parade.

Love the details.

One of the school bands was from Texas--their uniforms were jeans and white T-shirts with a Texas logo on them. Just a little different from the uniforms in Fonda. The other band was from Mobile, Alabama and their uniforms were black button down shirts with parrots all over and red shorts. They looked very cool, but compared to the Marines their deportment was severely lacking. Actually compared to Fonda their deportment was lacking. Oh well....

So what's it like watching the St. Patty's Day parade in Hawaii--hot! with a nice view of the ocean in the background and the ocean breeze accompaning the music. Not too shabby. Watch the parade then jump in the ocean to cool off!

Aloha

No comments: