Saturday, March 29, 2008

Saturday, March 29, 2008


SAILBOATS AND FIREWORKS
Chelsea and I decided to photograph the Friday night fireworks in Honolulu last night. We got there early enough to get shots of the sailboats, outriggers, and people spending time at Magic Island. This young man was having his photo taken in his samurai outfit. Maybe for senior photos, since it looked like he had other clothes to change into also. He was pretty expressionless, but the mom will probably love the images.





There were several outriggers going back and forth with grownups manning the oars, and there was what seemed like an entire fleet of sailboats out in the water. It didn't look like a race, but they just sailed back and forth for a while and then after the sun set and the light diminished, they began coming back to the marina. It was very nice of them to come in one at a time--it gave Chelsea and I plenty of chances to practice with slow shutter speeds and get some movement in the images and to get shots of the boats individually.














Chelsea and I had been there for quite a while and were expecting the fireworks to begin at 7:30. By about 7:15 we were getting tired but knew we didn't have too much longer to wait. A couple came and sat down near us. We started talking and they said the fireworks wouldn't start till 8:00. Both Chelsea and I groaned, and decided that if they didn't begin around 7:30, we would leave. We were supposed to meet Len and his wife across the road at Brew Moon where Leah was working.

Fortunately the first firework went off at about 7:35. They only last for 10 minutes, but that was long enough since we were both ready. I'm very happy with most of the images I got, and Chelsea got some good ones too. So all in all, it was a good afternoon.










I realized, while I was standing there, that I began my stay on Oahu with a fireworks shoot, and ended with one as well.

Aloha

No comments: