Monday, July 14, 2008

NEW LIFE

Monday. I love Mondays. I usually don't have any plans, so I can take my time getting up. I clean the house a little, get things organized, catch up on emails, and basically catch my breath after the weekend. This weekend was the NECCC conference--it's a photo conference that takes place at the U Mass campus. It's 2-1/2 days of 1 hour seminars on various photography subjects. Not only are the seminars usually educational and inspiring, but it's great being able to spend the weekend with over 1,100 people who love photography.
I didn't take any photos at the campus. I did that the first three or four years I attended, but have since decided that I didn't want to schlepp the camera and tripod around campus. It's usually very, very hot and the extra load is depressing.
So, getting back to today. By late afternoon I was getting a little restless, when I remembered that the other day I saw a bird's nest at the corner of the house. So I found a ladder and did my best to get some photos. Unfortunately, the nest is on a 2x4 jutting out from the house, under a slanted roof, so I couldn't get a good vantage point because I couldn't get up high enough to shoot down at the nest.





Mama and papa were flitting around, making all kinds of noise to scare me away during the entire time I was attempting to get situated. Sporadically mama would land on the post of the pool not too far away, so I managed to get a couple of shots of her.






So here are the babies. There are three in the nest. They must be pretty young because, as you can see, they only have a little fuzz on their heads. Now that I think about it, they weren't even making any noise. They were acting really hungry, so I got down off the ladder, sat myself down in a shady spot in the yard and waited for the mama to visit her babies.




I thought I might be able to get a shot of mama on the edge of the nest. Sure enough, she didn't go near the nest--guess I was too close, or too visible. I'll just have to remember to get some more pictures in the next several days. Many years ago I documented another nest and I was astonished at how quickly the babies grew and how soon they were out of the nest.




My short photo expedition did quite a bit to rejuvinate me. It was fun and out-of-the ordinary compared to the kind of work I usually do.


Aloha

No comments: