Wednesday, April 07, 2010

The Welcome Home

My host family celebrated the homecoming of their son, Yuji, today. He's been deployed for the past 8 months, serving in Kuwait. The Welcome Home Ceremony was scheduled to begin at 4 pm. I was blessed to be able to share in welcoming him home.

When we first arrived on base, I was overwhelmed not only with the concept of what was happening, but also with the photo opportunities.

Many of these images are of random people at the event. Although there are many images in this post, they represent just a fraction of the total that I shot.

There were some people in an auxiliary of some sort who were handing out lei to the visitors to give to their returning military friends and family. Betty had already purchased some beautiful lei, along with some balloons, with which to greet Yuji.

At 4 pm SHARP,(gotta love the military sense of time) the returning soldiers began their march into the reception area. With my back to the crowd and some awesome marching music playing I photographed this group with the sounds of shouting, cheering and clapping coming from the crowd behind me. It was very moving...


Once the short & sweet ceremony ended, the soldiers greeted their friends and family. This little girl was just waiting while her mom was taking photos.

Yuji greeted his parents and then moved on to hug his sister. They really like each other and it's a sweet sight to see.



Some more random people.


We stopped at a sushi place on the way home. Very interesting. I didn't each sushi, but I did manage to eat my entire meal with chopsticks.

The finale of The Welcome Home!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had I been there I would have been bawling..you know me and the military and anything that is patriotic...Loved the shots you got...especially the brothers love of his sister...a blessing.Would that all siblings loved one another with a deep love. Jean

trishalyn said...

A good photograph should evoke emotion, and you've hit a grand slam with these, Linda. Very powerful images!!!

You've had some extraordinary opportunities during "Hawaii 2010." It's my hope that...when you come home...you create a book from the terrific images you've taken in the past 4 months. I'd sure love a copy (autographed, of course)!!! :-)

Framing Images and Memories said...

Very moving. Goose bumps throughout the series, and the little boy with the sign...wow.

Bridget said...

i feel like i just opened time magazine.
this is a beautiful, powerful series. i can't wait to show my marine mom friend.