Monday, May 17, 2010

Abandoned

My photo club has chosen the categories for next year's monthly competitions. One of them is "Abandoned & Discarded, Images of Man's Forgotten Treasures". Now these monthly competitions won't begin until next October, but since I was itching to get out and get some images anyway today, I figured I'd try and get something that might work for the assigned topic.

Last year I went to this abandoned building and spent quite a while there, but because the assigned topic images must be made after May 1, 2010, I went back there today.

There's been some controversy over what to do with this huge, empty building. It's a beautiful structure, but would probably require mega-bucks to renovate. I'm sure there are other issues too, but it's basically, "tear it down vs. save it". There seems to be a stalemate, so the building just stands there, with a mere protective chain-link fence surrounding it.

So after stepping over the section of the protective fence that was laying on the ground, I knew I had hit the jackpot. I was up close and personal and could, this time, get some funky perspectives of the doors and windows.


After respectfully standing in one spot and taking several photos of different parts of the building, I took a deep breath and began walking around to see if I could find an open window. As luck would have it, I found a few and got some images of what were once offices in the building. As I was meandering back toward my car, I looked at this door that I hadn't seen before and noticed that it was open! OPEN, OMG.

Did I go in??? You betcha!! It was awesome. But those images are for the competitions. You'll have to come to the photo meetings to see them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the final photo is just plain lovely...I could see this framed and hung where it could be admired...all are very soul touching shots...Jean

Bridget said...

nice shots.
but that last one is awesome!!!!!