Saturday, January 15, 2011

Finally, Some Sun

It's been raining a lot lately.  And the forecast is for more rain.  So when the sun was shining today, I decided to head to the beach this afternoon.  I was planning on meeting some friends at the movie theater for the 7:30 show, so I drove downtown late in the afternoon.

I thought I'd miss rush-hour traffic because, I reasoned, I'd be going in the opposite direction.  Fact is...I didn't miss it.  But I made it to the beach in plenty of time. 










Two weddings were taking place on Magic Island.  I just happened to be standing near this one.  The outrigger poking into the groom's back is not acceptable, but when you're being a voyeur and trying to be inconspicuous, you've got to get the shot without being too fussy. 


As I was getting ready to walk back to my car, I turned around and saw the sun setting.  It was one of those times when the sun looked three times larger than it normally does.  I started running to get a better vantage point, but by the time the sun is that close to the horizon, you either take the shot, or you miss it--the sun disappears in just a few seconds.  And the extra complication was that there was a bank of clouds right at the horizon.  Two happy accidents though:  the sky didn't look that golden--the camera did it's magic, and the sailboat floated by at just the right time. 


By the way, the movie I saw was "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader".  Take my advice and go see it.  It was spectacular!!

3 comments:

trishalyn said...

These are GORGEOUS images, Linda!!! The golden colors of the sunset in that last shot are just beautiful! You have a knack of being at the right place at the right time...with your camera! :-)

I can't pin down a favorite, but the white sailboat against a backdrop of buildings, set off by the beautiful blue sky and water is definitely high on my list.

Terrific posting...and thanks for the movie tip, too! :-)

~she~ said...

Wow...love the sailboat sunset and the palm tree pic. I have never been luck enough to see scenery like this in my lifetime. Hopefully some day!

Anonymous said...

Linda These are spectacular..!!!!
I kept choosing my favorite and finely decided I just plain loved them all......the colors and the images are so , so, so....mind blowing....each one a winner....I wanted to be right there in each one....What memories for you...Jean