Monday, September 08, 2008

Camden, Maine

We decided to take a trip to Camden after spending the morning and lunchtime at the house just taking our time, reading and relaxing. Camden is about an hour from our place--the drive was nice, the weather was FANTASTIC. (Again, the "one-photo-a-day has kind of gone to h.... in a handbasket... ) I have many I want to post today, but I've controlled my impulses and only posted a small number.

Camden is a sweet little Maine town right on the marina. Lots of boats and activity. We walked around for a while, then Jean and Cindy decided to sit and relax.



Scott and I wandered around-we saw a great library building not far from the marina. There were some benches in a small garden area, and this is what they looked like. Very original.

Some random shots of the town.




I loved this sign outside a small restaurant.




At one point Scott saw some crew members embark from this huge private ship. He questioned them about the cost of of the ship. I guessed $3 million--I was low by $13 million. Yes, this is a private ship, no a corporation doesn't own it and yes there quite a few "staff" on this privately owned, $16 million ship. Seems a little excessive to me, huh?



Scott also found out, from his boss' brother, who is an under-captain on a ship like this, what the pay is for the under-captain and captain. Not too shabby...$1,000/foot of ship. So if the ship is 100 feet long, the yearly salary is $100,000/year. Okay... The captain make 2 to 3 times that much. hmmmm


All right, on to the kayaks...


These next two shots are some of the shops in Camden.




So we ended our excursion to Camden by heading home in time to make dinner and settle in for the evening.

No comments: