Friday, April 22, 2011

7 Days--Spiral Staircase and Shark's Cove

My host's house is undergoing a major renovation. It's been going on since January. This morning was the day scheduled for the spiral staircase to be moved from one side to the other.

Now..., I grew up in an apartment in a large city.  The most creative you could be was to hang a few pictures and paint the walls a different color.  Even after all these years, I still have a hard time comprehending that you can knock out walls and put them someplace else, make windows where there weren't any, seal doorways, etc. 

Until this week, I've been working, so I've been gone by the time the guys get here to begin their job of dismantling walls, creating new rooms, moving windows & doors and generally making a lot of noise.  But this morning I was able to grab my camera and document the monumental task of moving the staircase.  What a job.  It was a beautiful thing to watch though-very well orchestrated and there wasn't a single glitch.

Taking the staircase out of its original location.

Placing the staircase in it's new location

When we were done documenting the construction, Betty and I decided to go to Shark's Cove to snorkle. When we arrived we saw this Monk Seal basking.  It's a pregnant female.  Once they're on the beach, watching these creatures is like watching paint dry.  Because of that and because she was on her back and not very photogenic, I didn't stick around to take too many photos.




After snorkling, we headed back to Haleiwa for, yep, you guessed it, Shave Ice.  I really wanted to get a photo of Betty and I together, but there weren't any likely candidates hanging around to take the photo, so we took each other's photo.  BTW, there's a new flavor now.  White Cake.  Very yummy!



And no, I didn't have two Shave Ice.  I offered to hold Betty's while she was taking the photo.  After all, which is most important--that I only have one in my hand while Betty juggled the camera and her Shave Ice, or that my camera was safe in her hands??  hmmm, no contest!

3 comments:

trishalyn said...

Interesting story and photos of the spiral staircase. I'd love to see before/after photos of the remodeled home.

Beautiful beach images...as always! I can't wait for you to get home so I can see you...and your newest photo books!!! :-)

~she~ said...

I resemble that seal when I'm pregnant too! "Don't touch me...I'm tired and I'm going to rest here in the sun!" She was probably waiting on someone to bring her some ice cream.

Anonymous said...

Interesting shots and I loved numbers 4 and 5...Jean