Wednesday, October 14, 2009

800 ISO

So, I was driving to my photo lab today to pick up an order. My purse was on the seat next to me, appropriately zippered closed. Within the purse was my trusty point and shoot, encased, appropriately, in its pouch to protect it from bangs, scratches and dents.

As I approached a red light, I pulled up behind a car with a funky license plate. Well the light had been red, already, for a few seconds. Surely it would turn green within a few seconds. Would I have time to get the camera out of its case, within the appropriately zippered purse? Nah--forget it. But the license plate just called my name. I succumbed!

Quickly unzippering the purse I clawed my way to my point and shoot, ripping it out of its appropriate pouch, keeping one eye on the light and one on what I was trying to do.

Turning the camera on and practically counting the seconds till it "booted up", I then agonized over whether or not the flash was on and could I check it and turn it off, if it was on, before the light changed? By now I was determined to get this picture! I think I've got to get a life...

Okay, all set. Shoot. Ahhh, I got it! Another one for my license plate photo collection. As I loaded it on the computer tonight, I realized that it was kind of grainy. Blast it!!! It was on 800 ISO, much more than necessary for the occasion. Well, in those few seconds, I guess I couldn't have done much more without missing the shot.

That was the most exciting part of my day. Pretty scary, huh?

4 comments:

Bridget said...

i have been there:)
you totally got it.
great catch.

trishalyn said...

Wow...I'm impressed, Linda...great capture!!! I'd love to see your license plate collection...how many do you have?

I've been in similar situations many times. In fact, it happened to me this morning! I was driving to work, when suddenly a beautiful deer walked onto the road, followed by a second deer!!!

Both deer stopped in the middle of the road, turned their heads, and stared at me. MY CAMERA...OH...I WANTED MY CAMERA!!! And where was my trusty point-and-shoot? In its case and inside my purse...which was sitting on the back seat! ARGH!@#$!@!!! There was no way I was going to capture THAT photo op! :-(

ninth sunn said...

sounds like we're all experienced the same thing. quite often i came across this situation. only less succesfull than you were. for me, i had to unload my camera backpack & normally it's fitted with my big lens. so it's rarely achievable. usually i ended up talking to myself "shall i or shall i not bother". by the time i finish the conference, it's over.
you did well. great one!

Anonymous said...

great job and effort put forth, one more good one for the book!