Thursday, October 15, 2009

Minimalism

Our assignment this week, given by Trish, is "Close Up". The directions were to take three images of the same subject: one very close (macro style), one showing the entire object and one showing the object in its environment.

You're probably wondering what the title of this post has to do with the assignment. Well! In my head, I'm becoming a minimalist, although in reality--if you were to look at my house--you'd never know it. But day by day I'm getting rid of things. Sometimes it's just a tiny knick-knack, sometimes it's an entire bag of unused clothes. But the goal is to simplify my life by simplifying my environment.

That means seasonal decorations too. So when I began thinking about this assignment, I, of course (as I've been saying for months), drew a blank--as if there aren't a gazillion things right here in my own house that I could have used for a subject. Then, for whatever reason, I thought about using a pumpkin. Dang!! That meant I'd have to go out and buy a pumpkin. Another thing!!! At least it's a consumable and will deteriorate and get disposed of...

So that's what I used for the assignment.

Close Up

More of the object.

The entire pumpkin in its environment in my yard.

And a few more images thrown in for good measure--just because I was having fun and actually liked these images.



Oh, by the way, I may have the opportunity to photograph this pumpkin again tomorrow, IN THE SNOW!!!! Yup, the forecast is for snow. What's up with that??--the average temperature for this time of year is 60. Yeah for those Global Warming Advocates!! They obviously don't live in NY.

5 comments:

trishalyn said...

TERRIFIC!!! Great job with the assignment....just what I had in mind. And I love the unique perspective you chose for your subject...not your average pumpkin pics! You get an A+!!!

My favorite image, though, is #4....
I'd love to see that one featured in next year's calendar...would make a great greeting card, too!

Anonymous said...

in the snow, OH NO!!!!

Bridget said...

these are greaat!
i really like the last one.
nice series.

forgingahead said...

The pumpkin shots are great! And you certainly met the challenge.

philmary said...

#4 and #5 have that feel of the pot near the fire in your last post> Is minimalism simplicity of subject or subject which often is truncated so as to increase interest.?