Saturday, October 10, 2009

It Takes 21 Days to Learn/Unlearn a Habit

I've heard that over and over again. I'm not sure I totally believe it, but the "experts" (whomever they may be) say that it's true. Want to stop a bad habit? Refrain for 21 days and you might succeed. Want to start a new habit? Practice for 21 days and it becomes second nature.

So in light of that advice, I only have two more weeks to learn the new procedure for our photo group. For the past year, as most of you probably know by now, ad naseum, we've been taking and posting at least one photo a day--well, at least three of us were able to do that (I'm not one of those faithful three but the thought was always there).

After taking a week-long break, the new "challenge" is that once a week, on Sunday, one of us will give an assignment, and it will be due by the following Sat--meaning we can post it any time during the week.

Last Sunday Steve gave the assignment as "Holding On or Letting Go". (at least I know the Holding On part is right--forgive me Steve for not remembering the entire assignment). Well, during the week I thought about it quite often, and then completely forgot to shoot for it. Duh!! Okay, I still have two more weeks (14 days) to establish the habit.

Now, having said all that, today Phil and I went to Schoharie to the Old Stone Fort for the reenactment event. As I was uploading the photos I wanted to post, I realized one of these will fit, and I'll say something about it as you scroll down.


Here's another sign that I thought was worthy enough to be in my collection of funky signs.

Here's my "holding on".

These men are holding on to the flag in preparation of raising it up the flagpole. Watching them, I was reminded of the price that was paid to gain and keep the freedoms we enjoy each day. We need to "hold on" to those freedoms that were won with such a price.



4 comments:

trishalyn said...

These are TERRIFIC, Linda!!! Now I really regret not going with you! :-)

Once again, I cannot choose a favorite. I love the attention to details you focused on...and the images with the flag are very appealing. I especially love the first flag image...the placement of the flag as center of attention, the contrast of the flag against the monochrome stone building and uniforms...and finally, the sprinkling of fallen leaves the ground adds another key element. Well, it sounds as if I HAVE chosen a favorite! Great job, Linda!!! :-)

P.S.#1 - It appears as if you are more inspired now that the daily pressure is off! :-)

P.S. #2 - I thought we had until SUNDAY to post our weekly assignment. Did I misunderstand the "rules"?

J.L.Velez said...

Really great shots, I loved that sign and the last one of the soldier. I also thought we had until Sunday to post!

Bridget said...

the image of the soldiers preparinig to raise the flag took my breath away.
all terific photos.
you are definitely in your element.

philmary said...

Great post Linda.. ,,I often feel these events are somewhat ingenuous ,,how can you know the peril of the time of war..,but when the individuals are seen in isolation;(as in a well done image) uncloyed by modern events and things,,they become no longer facil imitation but are depicting rememberance and gratitude