Tuesday, June 02, 2009

The House Guest

We have a young man staying with us. He's been here for a while. It's been a real pleasure having him here. He's loaded with energy and it's really uplifting to be around him.

We happened to have an empty bedroom that he's staying in. Well, actually it had furniture in it and a collection of all sorts of things--you know, kind of like the "catch-all" room. A lot of people have a room like that, or at least a closet like that. By "empty", I mean empty of people.

Anyway, when he moved in, he decided that he'd help out and clean the room out. (just my kind of guy--you know what a cleaning binge I've been on lately). So more "stuff" went the way of garbage pickup or Goodwill.

Then one day, when I was in the kitchen and he was trying to cook his dinner, he asked if I'd like some help cleaning out the cupboards. More "stuff" became history. Hey, I'm liking this guy more and more lately...

So, here's the icing on the cake. Tonight I was getting dinner ready before leaving for Bible Study, and he said how much he'd like to plant a vegetable garden. ("Where did this guy come from?", I wondered)

Remember that flower garden that I planted years ago (when I cared) and haven't taken care of for the past bunch of years? I suggested that he use that area, since I'm sure the soil is pretty rich and probably just needs to be tilled.

He liked that idea and the next thing I knew he was out there cleaning out the old timbers I used as an enclosure. O. M. Gosh, I might just have to adopt this guy.

Let me mention that he's got a job and pays his way--often even buying food to make dinner for the rest of us. hmmmm

He gets along really well with Caleb. They seem to have a lot in common. That's a relief for sure.

There's one thing that's kind of uncanny though. He's got the same name as Caleb.

Wait!!

It is Caleb!

Good grief--when did he grow up?


7 comments:

philmary said...

Joy,Joy,Joy

trishalyn said...

Wonderful writing and overall great post, Linda! (I've had a similar experience at my house lately. Must be something in the air!). :-)

Anonymous said...

I, the skeptic, think this sounds like the framework for the next Stephen King novel. Keep a loaded gun nearby...:-)

Sending aloha,
Betty for the Bs

Anonymous said...

soo funny...but i jumped ahead and spoiled it for myself...nice writing!

J.L.Velez said...

I had a funny feeling it was him:) Glad he is being useful and brightening your days!

Framing Images and Memories said...

You had me going the whole time. I thought you took in a squatter (is that the right term?) Maturity is a wonderful thing. Being in 8th grade every year of my life, I dont get to see the end result so thanks for sharing.

Bridget said...

what a great storey.
enjoy him while you have him!