Thursday, June 04, 2009

The Rocking Chair

The assignment for today is "rocking chair".

When I was first married, we moved in with my mother-in-law in her apartment in the Bronx. There was not a rocking chair to be seen in the apartment.

10 months later, my son was born. When I arrived home from the hospital I was surprised to see this chair waiting for me in the living room. My husband had purchased it for me as a gift. I don't remember if I ever even mentioned wanting one--I think not--so the chair was an extra special gift because he thought of it and purchased it of his own accord.

I've rocked 5 of my own babies in that chair, along with Alex (see post from May 25--Memorial Day Parade), and his brother for a short while. Not to mention grandbabies once in a while. So the chair has served me well over the years.

About 5 years ago, Caleb decided he was going to remodel the staircase/coat closet. He took down all the hooks, so we didn't have anywhere to hang our winter coats--the rocking chair became the "coat hanger", so all winter and most of the summer too the chair is completely covered in coats, hats, extra blankets, etc. He still hasn't finished the staircase/coat closet, so the chair will have to do.

Anyway, this chair holds special memories for me, along with holding our winter gear.

I took a ride to Johnson Hall this afternoon. I wasn't too inspired in spite of being glad to be outdoors on such a beautiful day. One of my friends works there and we had a chance to chat for a few minutes before she left for home.


5 comments:

Bridget said...

first of all,the last image is beautiful!!!
the rocking chair history choked me up a little.
did you think those days would ever end?

Anonymous said...

you could remind the "new border/gardener/handyman of that unfinished project...maybe it'll get on the list!

wonderful rocker story, very nice.

Framing Images and Memories said...

Terrific pictures. Though you didn't feel inspired at Johnson Hall, your photos don't show it. The first photo could be a postcard sold in the gift shop..is there a gift shop? Nicely done.

J.L.Velez said...

I love the 2nd and 3rd rocking chair photos. The perspectives are great. And that last Johnson Hall photo is so crisp and great colors.

trishalyn said...

Your rocking chair story really enhanced the enjoyment of your chair photos. But I couldn't believe when I read you weren't inspired at Johnson Hall. Those images are beautiful...you certainly inspired me!!! Great post altogether, Linda! :-)