Thursday, June 11, 2009

Broken But Beautiful

That's the theme for today. I groaned when I saw the topic. I am so NOT good at abstract thinking. Fortunately, we got the assignment on Sunday instead of Tuesday, so we had two extra days to think about it. As each day went by, I despaired more and more however--I couldn't think of a single thing.

Then yesterday I read Leslie's post--boy did she nail it as far as I was concerned. Oh no, now what will I do?

I began to think about people being broken--but unlike Steve, who also nailed it with his conceptual poster, I was thinking about a broken leg, arm, head, whatever. See, I'm a literal thinker! Sure enough, I don't personally know a single person with a broken body part at this time. (which is probably a good thing)

Okay, scrap that idea!

Then on my drive home yesterday I passed this foundation. I pass this place every time I go to town and every time I see it I make a mental note to return to photograph it. This house burned down to the foundation several years ago. I love it. (not that it burned down, but the remains are just so....earthy)

Eureka!!! The light bulb went on. So here it is.

I love rock, wood and bricks. And I'm in awe of nature. God's creation. Nature is tenacious. It's persistent. It's glorious!

So in spite of the horror of destruction (brokenness, if you will), nature persists until there's beauty again.

So here is my, very literal, interpretation of Broken but Beautiful.




4 comments:

J.L.Velez said...

Your pictures are not literal, it's abstract based on your meaning and you did a fine job!!! I really liked the first one best. I'll turn you into an abstract-er if it's the last thing I do!!!! :)

Framing Images and Memories said...

Wonderful interpretation. Ruins can be beautiful as they become more and more a part of the environment around it.

trishalyn said...

Really nice images, Linda, and great post!!! (#2 is my favorite!)
:-)

ninth sunn said...

Great result and Congrats! Beauty for all rounds. Once for mankind habitat & now for naturescape.