Friday, August 28, 2009

Do You Hear Banjos?

(This is a late post for yesterday, Thursday, due to internet problems. )

The assignment was to take photos of two different things that were connected somehow. It was the assignment I gave--sure enough, I was completely confounded by it, but I liked the concept of it.

At the end of my travels yesterday, I wound up at a cemetery. This composite is the result of my quest to satisfy the assignment. Two different grave stones, from two different eras, both honoring the lives of people who lived, loved, laughed, people who were the child, spouse, sibling, parent of others who cared for them and people who left legacys of some sort behind.

When I began my travels yesterday, I headed toward Gloversville, and I turned onto a road I don't think I've ever been on before. My hope was that I would be able to find my way home, considering the ridiculously poor sense of direction I have. I eventually came to a sign that told me I was in Bleeker. Bleeker! Who lives in Bleeker and why?, I always wonder.


I kept driving and came upon this sign, "Pavement Ends". I could have sworn I heard banjos--and they weren't coming from the radio. But I persevered and continued on, wondering where in the world I would end up.

As it turns out, I wound up at Caroga Lake. As I approached I was thinking I could get a few shots at the old amusement park. Not to happen! Everything was closed up with barriers and "No Trespassing" signs. So sad. Another death.

5 comments:

J.L.Velez said...

Good connections between your photos. I love exploration through driving!

trishalyn said...

I enjoyed your interpretation of the assignment, and your writing added meaning to the composite.

It was fun to see where you lead your viewers as you explored different roads. Love the "Pavement Ends" image! So sad about Sherman's, though.

Zezee's View said...

It was almost like reading a story and wondering where the next page(photo) would take you to! I agree with Trish, it is sad when a business that has been around for years closes (especially such a fun place).

Bridget said...

i laughed out loud at your misadventures in the car and the banjo reference!
i got lost in bleeker once with 2 drops of gas in my tank,no cell phone connection,in the winter after dark!
i barely made it out alive!
lost the image with the orange sign.

Anonymous said...

you know what they say about bleeker, ...the closer to bleeker you get, the "bleaker" it gets!