Friday, August 07, 2009

Road Trip

I had to go to Cherry Valley today. I've never actually been to the town before. It's a sweet little place with farms, winding roads and beautiful country homes all surrounded with breath taking rolling hills and funky little sights along the way. I saw this row of old, faded mailboxes on the side of the road and couldn't pass it up.

Back behind the mailboxes was a blue garage type structure with this old-fashioned gas pump out front.

Just down the road was a small farm stand with this cute sign. Off to the right is the stand with the vegetables on it. Check the spelling.....it took me a minute to "get-it".

On my way home along Rt. 20, I decided to take a detour into Sharon Springs. Many years ago I photographed this Spa, and was happy to see that it was still standing--it would be nicer if some gazillionaire would buy it and refurbish it, but right now it sits vacant and deteriorating. In my mind's eye I could see the guests wandering around the grounds, sitting on the porches drinking coffee, and letting the cares of the world fall from their shoulders as they escape their daily cares in Sharon Springs, NY.




4 comments:

philmary said...

Love Sharon Springs, I was in a Zen camp there in !972 .It looks as sleepy now as then> . I don't remember The Hotel Adler.What style of architecture would you call it?

trishalyn said...

TERRIFIC!!! It seems like it's either feast or famine with photo ops, doesn't it?! :-) You sure hit the jackpot today. I love the old mailboxes and gas pump...that one, with its bold colors of red, blue and green is particularly pleasing! The veg-TABLE sign is adorable, and I like how you captured the speed limit sign in the background. The photos of the old hotel in Sharon Springs are wonderful! I really love how you isolated and captured the details. GREAT post!

Bridget said...

looks like you made the best of a very nice photo op.i love the mailboxes and the staircase with the peeling paint.
nicely done!

Framing Images and Memories said...

These are terrific! It would be wonderful to see this from the inside..We should break in! The stair case really caught my eye.