Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2008

It just occured to me as I was typing the date that posting every day (or at least trying to) will at least keep me in touch with what the day/date is. It was another beautiful day--about 80 and windy.

I didn't do much today, but I did get to the beach for some sunbathing. I seem to have adapted very quickly and well to Hawaii time.

Another vocabulary word: puka=hole (my hostess, Kristine, uses it to mean a small area, like a cubby hole, or small area in a cabinet). So if I want to use a certain kind of bowl, it's in the puka in the cabinet to the left of the stove.

Oh yes, after the beach I went to Brew Moon, the restaurant where Leah works, to have dinner. I had a book with me, so even though I was alone, I just read while I ate.

I didn't know that the restaurant was in a mall type area with the buildings all around a courtyard. No access to the stores from the street, only in the courtyard. So even though the GPS got me there with no trouble, I had to go around the block about three times before I realized where the driveway for the courtyard was.

Then I had to navigate the parking garage--a dizzying experience if I do say so myself. I had to drive up to the 5th level before finding a spot. At least the parking was free! So feeling like I needed the exercise, I decided to use the stairs to get to the bottom level. If I was dizzy driving up, I was even more so walking down, because, of course, I didn't meander down, I ran down and around and around and down.

The restaurant was nice and I had a chicken queissidilla (I know that's spelled wrong, but I don't happen to have a Spanish dictionary at hand) which was really good. I sat at a small table just inside the open door leading to the lanai. Okay, you probably get the rest of the idea, with the breeze blowing in, the tiki lights lit, etc.

Backing up a little...before I went to the restaurant, I went into Borders. The place was calling my name, seriously. I found a book about hiking in Oahu which is loaded with lots of information about the islands, how to pronounce Hawaiian words, etiquette when on the Island, etc. In the section about pronouncing words, there is a verrrrry long word that the author helps the reader to pronounce. I'll post it another day, it's late now and the book is upstairs, and the next time I negotiate the stairs will be the last time for tonight.

But FYI the Hawaiian language uses the same 5 vowels we do, but it only has 7 (yes seven) consonants.

On that note, closing for now.

No comments: