Saturday, January 12, 2008

Friday night I was going to meet up with some photographers to do a sunset shoot. I decided to get there a little early to do some shooting on my own and to avoid the rush-hour traffic, which, by the way, is nasty. I went to Waikiki Beach which is where I thought they were meeting. I found out that that isn''t where we were to meet, but decided to stay and do some street photography.


This first scene is of some hotels directly across from Waikiki Beach. They get a great view from their balconies.



This next scene is looking down the lenght of Waikiki Beach.





After spending some time at Waikiki, I decided to head down to where I was supposed to meet the other photographers, since traffic was heavy and I didn't really know where I was going. The GPS I got for Christmas wouldn't help because you have to program it with an actual address and I didn't have one.
I arrived ahead of everyone else (without getting lost, amazingly), so I just took a few shots of the area. This one is of Diamond Head far off in the distance, with the marina in the foreground.
When everyone arrived, we walked to the other side of the park (Magic Island) to wait for the sunset. While waiting, I practiced getting silhouettes. This is just one of the series.
Much to our disappointment, the sunset wasn't too spectacular, but it was worth a few shots. The little bit of color was pretty, but it didn't seem to reflect off the clouds too well.
When everyone was sure they were done with sunset, we walked back to the original place I had been in order to wait for the fireworks.
When I took this shot, it was actually much darker that the image shows, but due to the long shutter speed, it looks like daytime. The blur in the image is a sailboat.

One of the hotels sets off fireworks every Friday night that last about 15 minutes. So, considering I've never shot fireworks and have never been very interested in shooting them, I wound up with two images that I'm pretty happy with. This is just one of them because the other is pretty similar.

We ended up around 8, and I headed for home. Altogether a good time.

1 comment:

Henry said...

Aloha!