Monday, January 21, 2008

Monday, Jan 22, 208

I was awakened this morning at 6 a.m. by a phone call from my son. It was 11 a.m. for him, but the call was somewhat of an emergency--tuition payment issues. It is his first day back after Christmas break. I think I fell back to sleep for a little while, but when I did think about getting up, I could hear the wind and it looked cloudy and I thought I heard rain. Nice for a change. WHAT!! you're thinking. You're happy it's cloudy and rainy? Well yes, after a stretch of good weather, a rainy day is just the thing. I've always enjoyed that kind of change. It's the two-weeks-of-cloudy-snow and/or rain that do me in.

So I'm waiting for Caleb to call back and we'll take care of his tuition issue. And then I'll probably spend most of the day working on the computer creating a Missionary calendar for my church here.

But in the meantime, here's a vocabulary lesson. No test to follow, just some trivia if you're interested in tucking any of this away in your brains.

Aloah=hello/goodbye, or a feeling or the spirit of love, affection or kindness
Mahalo=thank you
Brah (pronounced bra)=bruddah, friend, brother (this is slang and probably not appreciated if used by a haole)
Haole (pronounced how-leh)=originally meant foreigner, now means Caucasian
Hanai=informal adoption
Enough for now.

No comments: