Monday, January 28, 2008

Sunday, Jan 26, 2008


It's been a very peaceful day. In the high 70s, sunny but windy.


I went to church this morning. As I've mentioned before, it's in a cafeteria in an elementary school. Apparently one of the teachers wanted to spend some time in their classroom, but they didn't disarm the alarm system. So when the door was opened the alarm went off. It must not be easy or quick to turn the alarm off because it seemed like about 15 minutes before it stopped.


In the meantime, the doors and windows of the cafeteria were shut, which didn't do much to muffle the sound, and pastor went right on with his message. When it was finally turned off it was quite a relief.


Now this school is not surrounded by farms like the Fonda/Fultonville school is. It's on a fairly main road with houses and stores nearby. But every Sunday we're serenaded by a rooster! It's just like being home. Not!


When I got home I had to make some cookies for the Bible Study/dinner this afternoon. That went okay. It was Italian night and everything was really good. I had been craving spaghetti and meatballs since I got here, so tonight I got my "fix".


I looked up the translation for some names tonight. Here they are, and if anyone would like to know what their name is in Hawaiian, just let me know.



Linda=Linaka
Jean=Kini
Lori=Lolina
Cindy=Kini (I thought it odd that Jean and Cindy are both Kini)
Cynthia=Kinikia
Louise= Kaulanalkekaua or Luika
Sandy=Kani
Marilyn=Melina or Melelina


mauka=inland

mahalo nui loa=thank you very much

No comments: