Friday, July 24, 2009

You've Come A Long Way, Baby

"The first typerwriter proven to have worked was built by the Italian Pellegrino Turri in 1808 for his blind friend, Countess Carolina Fantoni da Furzzono." The Writing Machine, by Michael Adler, 1973

In the US successful commercial production began with "writing ball" of Danish pastor Malling Hansen. (1870)

see http://site.xavier.ded/polt/typerwriters/tw-history.html for further information if interested.

This morning I had to stop at Conover-Seeley Office Supply. While I was waiting for my credit card to be swiped, I noticed a display case that contained some old typewriters. I've never seen anything like this first one. Notice that there are only 3 rows of keys. (If you go to the website mentioned, you'll see a really primative typewriter that looks like a pin cushion)

Technology certainly has "come a long way, baby"--which is an extreme understatement when you think about the ipods used to communicate today.



This next gadget is also in the office supply store. It's a paper-cutter, still being used by the employees.

This evening I visited a friend whose daughter, Erika, son-in-law and new baby girl were visiting from Savannah. I haven't seen Erika in many years--somehow in the interim she grew up and started a family of her own. Her family is just one of several who we used to camp with when the kids were little.

This is my friend Lori, who takes advantage of any/every opportunity to hold a baby.

(I think I didn't do a very good job of color correcting these people images, but it's late and I don't feel like working on them right now.)

4 comments:

trishalyn said...

I'm intrigued with your typewriter images...what a great capture...and further proof that one should never venture out of the house without a camera!!! The typewriters remind me of a story...perhaps I'll save it for my own blog. :-)

What an adorable baby!!! I love, LOVE, LOVE!!! your first image of that beautiful baby! I also thought it interesting that you tied your two themes together, "You've come a long way, baby." In referencing the advancement of technology and that of a child growing up and having a child of her own...as shown by the baby photos...is just perfect. Great posting, Linda!

Never Settled said...

I didn't know she had a baby. Is that her first?

philmary said...

I agree with Trish concerning the linkage of subjects for the same theme.Babys are great but I like technology and mechanical things..Have you ever seen that paper cutter work?

Then a large idea for a baby would be having in your mind whose baby it is

Bridget said...

very interesting post.
good thing you had your camera with you!
of course, i love the baby picture.
nice job connecting the 2 photo ops.