Saturday, September 05, 2009

Where In the World IS The Concert?

I spent the morning today working my shift at the Pro-Life booth at the Fonda Fair. My plan for the rest of the day was to hang out at the fair until 7, when I would then watch the Powder Puff Demolition Derby, and then at 8 attend the Oak Ridge Boys concert. So while I was waiting for the Demo-derby, I wandered around and got some shots of the goings-on.






I finally headed over to the grandstand a little early in order to get a good seat. Luckily I had a book with me, yeah, Ladder of Years, so I was able to occupy my time while I was waiting. Not too many good photo ops from where I was sitting, until...

...the festivities began. It was a little difficult to get good shots because of the chain-link fence, but I tried.

The Powder Puff Demo-Derby finally began. It was awesome. I LOVE watching these things--I probably should be embarrassed about admitting that, but I can't help it. I want to compete in one of these things.

Thinking that they should soon be setting up for the Oak Ridge Boys Concert, I waited patiently, only to see that they were getting ready for another demo-derby. This one--The Grand Slam. Okay, the concert would follow I was convinced.

There were 21 cars in this demo-derby. OhMyGosh!!! It was so fun.

When I turned in the other direction, I notice the full moon. Very beautiful.

As they announced the winner, people began leaving in droves. I was very confused--why were they leaving if there was supposed to be a concert? I thought, "Where In the World Is the Concert?" So I asked the people next to me and they said, "Oh, it's in the horse arena and the line is really, really long". Ooooops! Gotta get going.

So I put on my running shoes (figuratively speaking) and got there in no time flat--with no line in sight, and the "Boys" were only halfway through their first song. Whew! So as I put my hand in my tote to find the ticket, I found it immediately. (now that has to be a record, normally I'd have to empty the entire contents out on the ground just to find the one thing I was looking for--totes tend to be like the big black hole whenever I'm trying to locate something).

As I entered the arena, I saw that it was packed and wondered where I'd find a seat. So I walked along, looked up, and there was a seat.

Well, to end this missive, the concert was great and I even managed to get some tolerable images of the group.

Altogether it was a good day.

6 comments:

trishalyn said...

WOW...THESE ARE TERRIFIC!!! I love every one of them...no favorites here...ha...ha! I enjoyed your commentary as you guided me through your day. Your images represented a great sampling of the fair, and I felt as if I had been there with you. AWESOME POSTING!!!

J.L.Velez said...

A great series of photos from the fair, you really captured the atmosphere in all of your shots!

Zezee's View said...

I agree with Trish - all of the pictures are great and it felt like I was at the fair with you.

Anonymous said...

i also had a good day.... went to saratoga and saw Rachel Alexandra WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Framing Images and Memories said...

All of your photos are terrific in this series. You had some bright sunlight, fading sunlight, artificial lighting, the moon and indoor lighting..wow!! And you handled each with a lot of skill.

philmary said...

Never gone on any of the rides but you captured the action ..The red shirts of the guys behind the Fair Girls in Number 7 really accents the girls >>I saw the tractor pull on Friday Night but I have to agree with you about those crazy people in their cars and trucks being a wild thing.. The jumble of the cars in the powder puff and the dust and the smoke and the full moon .... WeLL DONE