Friday, March 13, 2009

Seeing Through A Glass Darkly

In my friend's house, there is a panel of these wavy thick panes of glass alongside their front door. I thought of it the minute I heard what the special assignment was for Thursday. So these are a few of the images I made with that great glass.



That was all I was going to post. But my friend Jackie is taking hula lessons and she asked me to come to her class and video one of the junior instructors as she was leading the class during one of the dances. The tallest girl in the back with the blond hair is the one I videoed. She was really amazing.

As I was getting ready to leave, I saw the class get together for this group shot. I grabbed my camera and got it going as quickly as I could. I didn't want to use flash, so it's at 1600 asa, and still isn't very sharp, but it got the shot. How cute are they?

I tried for a second shot, but they were too quick for me.

Here the girls are sitting listening to the closing instructions.

Posted at 7:40 pm on Thurs, March 12, 2009

6 comments:

trishalyn said...

Very cool...loved your interpretation of the assignment! The last image (assignment) is my favorite. The hula dancers were adorable, too. You ought to take lessons, Linda! :-)

Bridget said...

talk about an image waiting for an assignment!
the glass pictures are great.
i love the last image of the sitting dancers:)

J.L.Velez said...

That last shot is precious, all of their faces expressing different things. The blong girl looks truly happy and excited!

Framing Images and Memories said...

The wavy glass photos worked really well, and perfectly for the assignment. Nice job!

philmary said...

First shot of the group they look like they a expressing empowerment or solidarity.Are these girls Indigenous People who are learning a Cultural tradition?

Linda said...

In response to Phil's comments--According to Kristine, only one or two girls in the group photo might be Hawaiian. The others might have some Hawaiian heritage. Except for the obviously Caucasian girls, the rest appear to be a combination of various Asian cultures. Probably the majority of them are "locals", although the younger Caucasians could be military and/or fairly new residents.
Certainly they're learning a cultural dance form and there are probably as many reasons for that as there are girls. In my opinion they're there to learn a local tradition because it is a stunningly beautiful art form. It would be like relocating to Ireland and learning the Irish Fling, or moving to the southeast and leaning a Tennessee jig.