Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Tuesday

I was on turtle duty today. The first time in a long time. When I got there, there were no turtles on the beach and the other volunteer said there hadn't been any all day.

There were, however, 5 of them playing in the surf, teasing all the tourists. They were coming in very close, frolicking, then turning back out to sea and swimming a little bit away. Then they happily repeated the scenario.

About 45 minutes after I got there, this one, lone turtle made his/her way up the beach. It's a juvenile, so the gender isn't determined.


As the sun got lower in the sky, I wanted to include the turtle with the stream of sun on the water. Problem: too contrasty, so I started playing around with exposure times. I wound up with this next image. Just a little high key, but I really, really liked it.

Posted at 8:30 on Tuesday, March 24, 2009

4 comments:

J.L.Velez said...

I like the sun setting on the first turtle. It's very tranquil, despite the fact you said they were frolicky! Very beautiful. Turtle duty seems like fun!

trishalyn said...

The first image is my favorite, too. I could gaze out at the ocean all day! :-)

philmary said...

I like the first image also ..So often we see a beautiful setting sun ,but with a turtle I think what is he doing there? ,,there is a question waiting to be answered

Bridget said...

ilso love the first image.esp the way the setting sun leads right to him.
the last image has a surreal quality.
you are a good citizen of the world!