Thursday, January 29, 2009

Got It Back!

Two days ago, I received the sweetest email.... The Canon repair center notified me that my camera was ready to pick up. Eureka!!! Well, I couldn't go down yesterday because I was babysitting, but I was able to get there today. What a relief. This first image is the first one I took with my newly repaired camera. Pretty exciting, huh?


Since I was so close to the beach, I headed over to Magic Island again where the outrigger canoe practice takes place. I took many more shots than this, but it would probably just seem redundant to you, so this is one that is just a little different.



When I crossed the road to get into my car, I noticed this lovely scene. I don't usually park on that side of the road, so it was a fairly new sight to me too.



A friend from church has a son who loves to play ice-hockey. Yes, I really did say ice-hockey. There's a rink called "The Ice Palace" and according to my friend it's the only one of its kind in the entire state. Whoever decided to build an ice rink in Hawaii is probably a very, very rich person right now.

Anyway, Yuji, the son, has been playing since he was 14. It's a military family, so they were on the mainland when he began the sport--he's about 20 now.

We had made plans for me to meet them at their house so I could ride with them to the game. It was about 5 pm (rush hour) when I got in my car for the drive to their place. Good timing on my part--remember what I said about rush hour in Honolulu???? A nightmare!!! At some points, the freeway is 6 lanes wide in each direction (do the math--that's 12 lanes total), and traffic is practically stopped. I guess I'll learn/remember that at some point.

I did manage to make it there in time for dinner--then we bundled up--Yes, ladies and gentlemen, "bundled" up. I wore jeans, sneakers and socks, a long-sleeved shirt AND a sweater, oh. my. gosh. I couldn't believe I was doing that, but my friend assured me that it was absolutely freezing in this place and that I'd better be dressed for the arctic. I even brought a comforter just in case.

The game was fun--not like RPI games where they're out for blood. This is a "no-contact" game. It was my first ever hockey game and I loved it. AND, Yuji scored two goals and his team won. AND I got some fun shots. So altogether it was a pretty darned good day. (of course, I consider almost any day without snow a good day) Yuji is in the white jersey in this first image.


Yuji with his back to camera--I tried hand holding, slow shutter speed and zooming. Oh, I LOVE my SLR!!

Just some random players. I was panning for this one.

Posted at 11:30 on Wed, January 28, 2009. Whew, just made it!

3 comments:

Never Settled said...

Oh, Honolulu. I didn't think I'd ever say that, but seeing these pics makes me miss is a little. And those hockey pictures are really cool. Did your lens and strap turn up?

trishalyn said...

I never expected to see ICE HOCKEY photos from Hawaii!!! They were great, Linda! Looked like you were having fun with your newly repaired camera. I still can't believe your luck in having a Canon repair center so close to you. It was really nice to see some "Hawaii" images, too. You sure had a great day...I'm happy for you! :-)

Framing Images and Memories said...

Busy, productive day! Nice job Linda. Does seem humorous to see ice hockey but how much fun would that be for a native Islander to participate in! I like the hockey shots a lot and am happy to hear you have been reunited with your camera. AS I type this Im playing that song in my head.