Monday, May 25, 2009

The Store on the Corner

When people ask me where I live, I tell them the name of the town, but then I warn them that it's basically an intersection--don't blink or you'll miss it. The town of Glen actually covers a huge geographic area, but the main part of town, the "business section" so to speak, is truly an intersection.

For several generations there has been a general store "on the corner" at that intersection. Last year it was purchased by a local family who continues to run it as a small grocery store and eatery.

Each Memorial Day the store has been open for folks to purchase soda, water, sandwiches, etc. before, during and after the Memorial Day Parade. This year, under the new ownership, there was a barbecue out front. Pretty much a stroke of genius. Not only did the store benefit from the increased sales, but it was a place for friends and family to meet, greet and visit with one another.

I might have already mentioned this in a previous blog, but I was raised in the Bronx. Sure, we knew some of the people in the apartment building we lived in, but we knew them generally just enough to say hi/by.

I LOVE living in a small town. I love the atmosphere. I love the social gatherings. I love that I don't have to lock my car in my own driveway, or even the house when I go for a walk. I love that even if I don't see someone for months on end, when we do meet it's just like it was yesterday. I love having seen the kids of my friends grow up--as you'll see later in this post. I love the pancake suppers hosted by the local church every election day, and I love being able to count on that pancake supper being held (because it is the absolute BEST pancake supper in the area!). I love that the people here are real. No pretenses. No struggle to be politically correct. No paranoia.

Story: Once when Caleb and his friend, Ben, were pre-teens they were walking along the road and they found a hand gun lying in the ditch. They brought it to me. "Well", we thought, "wonder who this belongs to?" We found the owner (he placed it on top of his car while opening the door, but forgot to take it into the car with him--when he went around a curve, the gun slid off) and returned the pistol to him. No big deal. I love it. Living in this town is like living in the "simpler times" that many of us remember and long for.

So when I arrived at the "business area" of Glen to watch the Memorial Day parade, I saw this sight. All I could think was, "Aww, I love this!"


As the parade began, I saw a group of scouts approaching and noticed this young man in dress whites. "Wow--it looks like the only military presence in the parade--I'd better get a photo of this" After he passed it occurred to me that it was Alex. Alex attends Annapolis. He looks wonderful. He's two years younger than Caleb. When Alex was 6 weeks old I began babysitting for him and continued until he was 5. He was one of the best babies to care for and I really enjoyed my time with him. Today he took my breath away.

This is just a little girl watching the memorial service. So cute.

This young woman is the daughter of a friend of mine with her two children. Carrie used to babysit for Leah and Caleb when they were about the same ages as her children.

I LOVE THIS TOWN!

4 comments:

J.L.Velez said...

Great shots from today. I love that town too. It's wonderful to have that parade every year and see everyone outside gathered together!

Framing Images and Memories said...

Could that be Alex Schanckenberg (spelling?)?? I taught him and it looks like him. Very bright boy, well man. Nice photos and sentiment of living in a small town.

trishalyn said...

Wonderful capture of "Americana" with your writing combined with your images!!! Great shot of Alex, too...I bet his parents would love a copy of that photo! I think you have the makings of another book project. What about "a year in the life of small town America"?

Bridget said...

i loved your sentiments of your home town and the pictures were a nice reflection of them.
the little girl in the divided skirt is priceless!