Sunday, May 24, 2009

A Trip Into Town

It was a beautiful afternoon--almost perfect. I decided to drive to town (Amsterdam) to see what I could see. When I passed the Amtrak train station, I decided to stop and take some shots. I'm not thrilled with what I got, but the first three images are at least passable.



I drove a little farther into town. I wasn't too inspired.


While writing this post, I'm watching GAC (Great American Country). They're playing a special of Trace Atkins' trip to Iraq for 10 days to perform for the troops. I'm sure it's airing tonight in honor of Memorial Day.

I miss being in Hawaii. There is such a strong military presence there. I love seeing the service men and women in their fatigues everywhere. Walmart, McDonald's, driving on the roads, at the beaches. I miss the "Welcome Home"/"My Hero"/"We Love Our Daddy" signs painted on the windows of vehicles.

At the beginning of June, two of my friends are being deployed. One is the dad of 4 children (and one on the way) who will be gone until December, the other is the mom of two boys (the youngest only 6 months old) who will be gone for an entire year.

I feel so privileged and blessed to know them.

God Bless Our Military--past, present and future!

2 comments:

trishalyn said...

I really LOVE the train tracks (great perspective and shadows!) and your "Through a Window" shot of the train station...they are both wonderful! My heart is breaking for the mom and dad who must leave their little ones. :-(

Bridget said...

the train track is very good as is the through the window and i love the church image.
the talk of parents leaving small children at home to serve and protect our country is sobering.
the shots of the welcome home car choked me up.
very nicely done.