Monday, February 16, 2009

I DID IT!!!
(okay here goes the unwanted underline again)


Today, President's Day, was the 25th Great Aloha Run. But let me immediately explain that I didn't RUN, I walked. It is 8.1 miles beginning at Aloha Towers and ending at the Aloha Stadium. (Leah will understand that). My goal was to cross the finish line and get the T-shirt. So that's just what I did.

Kristine wound up jogging/walking with the boys, and I walked with Danielle (another lady from church) while she pushed the baby stroller.

In case you're wondering, I'm still good and sore 6 hours later--but I DID IT!! My time was about 2 1/2 hours.

Here's (okay--where did the underline go???) the motley crew before the race. I had absolutely NO interest in getting a similar picture after the race (walk). I was in too much agony. From left to right: Danielle (with baby Madeline), moi, Nathan, Kristine and Josh, Danielle's son. (By the way, Danielle has 6 [six] kids, but she only brought these two)

Leah attended HPU (Hawaii Pacific University) for her graduate studies, so when I saw this guy, I had to get a shot just for nostalgia's sake.

Over 26,500 people were registered for the event. It seemed to me that the majority of them walked the course, but hey, walking it is better than not doing it at all. I guess the proceeds from the registration were divided up among several charities.

What a welcomed sight! There was still some distance to cover though. Had to walk through the stadium, out the other side and on a winding path that led to the bottled water/doughnut/T-shirt distribution.

And here's the coveted T-shirt.

Posted at 3:15 on Monday, Feb. 16, 2009

6 comments:

philmary said...

Distance running or walking 8.1 miles at our age is commendable.You look psyched at mile 6

Never Settled said...

Congrats mom, that's great! I love the picture of Sharky.

trishalyn said...

Wonderful photo essay, Linda! Congratulations on completing your walk...that is quite an accomplishment! I love your haircut, too...it is very becoming. Makes me want to chop mine off!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!!!! I would have had to stroll and would have still been walking the following morning...
I also agree with the friend who mentioned the hair cut..adorable..makes you look so young and pretty..or maybe it is also due to where you are and how happy you are there....J

J.L.Velez said...

I commend you! 8 miles is tough but you did it with a smile! Looks like it was beautiful weather too. What's up with bottled water and doughnuts?! Those two shouldn't go together after a race:)

Bridget said...

congratulations linda!
good photo essay .
commendable achievement!
your haircut is very cute and your legs are looking good from all your walking:)