Saturday, February 14, 2009

An Hawaiian Icon

Yesterday a friend and I spent some time at Waikiki (see previous post). As soon as we walked onto the main street, I noticed a man sitting on the sidewalk, creating lei ("lei" is singular and plural). I grabbed my camera and started shooting, so did my friend. I began to feel a little guilty about taking so many photos and not compensating him in any way, when I noticed this particular lei. All of the lei were beautiful, but this one really stood out for me because of the crimson and yellow combination. So I treated myself. I wore it for the rest of the evening while shooting. The scent is truly beautiful.


PS--these flowers are plumeria.
Posted at 12:15 pm on Sat., Feb 14, 2009

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh Linda..I so remember the wonderful scenets of the flowers and the beauty of the colors...made me homesick for the Islands...thanks for sharing....I think these are Ginger blossoms and they do smell so lovely...I loved that you can wear flowers all the time on the Islands and no one thinks you nuts...glad you go to enjoy the day there on the beach and in Honolulu....I would love to be able to do that trip again..but..I do have wonderful memories...J

J.L.Velez said...

These pictures are stunning! I'm glad you treated yourself. I cant say enough good about them...the colors, the shapes of the petals...breathtaking!

Framing Images and Memories said...

Nice Job during the last two posts. The lit 'covering' (sorry Im brain-dead)..in the darkening sky is terrific. I love the angle and fun you had with the hotel as well. All of them are wonderful. 3 hours for the sand sculpture? Wow..for me 3 decades wouldn't produce that!

trishalyn said...

These are really beautiful, Linda! I love the colors...they are bold but look creamy and soft, too. I've only ever seen cheap, paper lei...can't imagine how beautiful the real things are. Probably a stupid question, but how long do they last? A day? Are they expensive?

philmary said...

Beautiful colors....do a shot with you wearing them

Bridget said...

beautiful images linda.
i especially like the 2nd and 3rd.
the flowers look so lush.i feel as if i can almost detect their scent:)