Friday, February 20, 2009

Pineapple Anyone?

I decided to take a ride to the Dole Plantation this afternoon. I spent the morning and the early part of the afternoon catching up on emails, bills, cleaning and just puttering around the house. Nathan went to his Grandma's this morning, so I had the house to myself. Glory!!!

But by mid afternoon, I was getting cabin fever. So I decided to take my camera and get some images at the plantation.

When you first arrive, there are several kiosks outside, specializing in Pick-a-Pearl. For anyone who doesn't know what that is, they spin a drum with pieces of paper and then you pick one out. It usually has a price on it or "free". This is the cost of the pearl you get when you "pick your pearl" by choosing a clam.

Once you get a pearl, you're encouraged to pick some jewelry to have the pearl "set" in. The jewelry is truly beautiful, and it's very, very difficult to say no.

There is a large pond on the grounds, filled with koi. I was standing on a small foot bridge and the people next to me were feeding the fish. You can see what a frenzy they were in.

There are many, many things to look at and purchase inside the building, including that delicious Pineapple Ice Cream I treated myself to last week with my friend, Sue. But I didn't succumb today, I was just there to look and photograph. Tucked into a corner, where I wouldn't be seen taking this photo, is this display of beautiful Hawaiian quilt wall-hangings. I just love the patterns and the colors, and you can buy almost any type of item made out of these quilts--purses, pot-holders, bed quilts, throw pillows, etc.

After finishing there, I headed toward the North Shore and stopped at Haleiwa again. Didn't take too many shots, but this sign caught my eye.

As a last resort, I headed to Laniakia Beach to see if there were any turtles basking and to see if maybe, just maybe there might be some kind of sunset. The weather has been so cloudy and rainy lately, that a pretty sunset seems like a thing of the past. This picture gives you an idea of the "grey" conditions this afternoon. But it was still beautiful.

And last, but not least, a turtle for Jayme. The light was pretty flat, but I did manage to catch this guy when he was moving his head. So there you go!!

Posted at 7:55 pm on Friday, Feb 20, 2009

5 comments:

Bridget said...

another tour of a corner of hawaii,thanks!
this is a great series.my favs are the quilts(beautiful) and the fish.
i also really like the "grey"beach pix.
good job linda.
sounds like you had a great day,except for the pineapple ice cream decision:)

trishalyn said...

Ditto to what Bridget said...I was thinking the same thing! The fish image was so colorful...the quilts so beautiful! I was mesmerized by the ocean...could stare at that forever. I liked your choice of b/w for it..it's rare to see a b/w sunset. Love the turtle's expression, too! Sounds like you had a fabulous day!

Framing Images and Memories said...

Nice photos. I always love the ocean shots..and always straight horizons! When I see slightly crooked ones they now annoy me! Seems like you had a busy day. More snow here tomorrow so enjoy that sun!

philmary said...

Fish are so tightly packed they look like they are on ice..You should make a collection of all the laid back signs that you see on you island


What is the story on Dole ?There must be a million words an images concerning Dole

Anonymous said...

Linda, I love the "No shirt, no shoes" sign. A classic! You're making me miss Hawaii. It is great that you could visit again this winter. Sounds like a good tradition to me.