Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Leso, Sarong, Sari...

After reading Leah's post for Feb. 13 "Another Use for a Leso" or something like that, I was a little intrigued by this piece of fabric and its uses. If you haven't already read the post, go there. Not only will you learn something about one of the local customs, but there's a little humor included about the weather. The address is: www.iminkenya.blogspot.com

(In addition to not knowing how to get rid of unwanted underline, I don't know how to make a link--if anyone knows and would like to share the info, I'd love to hear from you)

Back to leso. The other day when I was in Haleiwa with my friend, we were wandering through a shop that had beautiful pieces of fabric for sale, labeled "sarong". After choosing one, because after all, I'm just the type to wear one of these slinky dress things, I began talking with the saleslady. She informed us that many cultures have this type of rectangular fabric, and they each have their own name for it. I mentioned what Leah had said in her blog, and sure enough, it's the same type of thing.

So now I own a leso/sari/sarong... Don't know what I'll do with it. I just know I love the pattern and the idea of it. After all, you can use it for a window treatment, then when company is coming, you can whip it off the window and use it for a table cloth, then as the evening gets cooler, just toss it over your shoulders like a shawl. Or, use it as a cover-up at the beach, a mat to lay the baby on while changing the diaper, or as a decorative touch to your bathing attire. Multi-use, kind of like multi-task.

The saleslady gave me this little cheat-sheet to help me learn how to tie it if I want to use it as a dress. Cool, huh?

Posted at 11:05 am (MVP, notice I said A.M.--really on the ball today). on Tues, Feb 24, 2009

5 comments:

Bridget said...

beautiful fabric and it sounds like more good times in paradise.
we totally need a fashion show at the next photo club meeting:)

Framing Images and Memories said...

I'll pay you to wear it as a dress, walk through Walmart and let me photograph you for my blog! It will be fun! Actually sounds like you have many other uses for it. It is beautiful and thanks for the mini-lesson. I never knew about this garment.

philmary said...

My grandmother was in Hawaii a while ago and she was always talking about muu muus Is this what she meant?

trishalyn said...

This fabric is very lovely, Linda...and I enjoyed the story that went along with it. I love Steve's idea, too! :-)

Never Settled said...

I just put some pictures on facebook of me wearing my leso as acover-up/dress at the beach last weekend. Funny that you posted this today!