Friday, February 27, 2009

Just Look At This Face!!

1965. A new freshman class arrived at college. Young, eager, nervous, ready to take on the challenges of new experiences...

Michelle was one of those people who are perky, pretty, vivacious, outgoing, talented, smart, well-dressed, and, darn-it-all, sweet and likable at the same time. It was impossible not to like Michelle.

I was a sophomore. I knew my way around the small campus, I knew practically all the upperclassmen (very small college), and within weeks knew practically all the freshmen (if not personally, at least by their first names).

She had a twin brother attending too. His name was Michael. Yep, Michelle and Michael Morrison. Oh dear. So Michelle became Mickie. She got involved in campus life very quickly, and we remained, if not close friends, at least good acquaintances until I graduated three years later.

We never saw each other again. I never heard anything about her until the other day! A roommate of mine, who was in the same singing group as Mickie (The Windy Hill Singers) sent out an email that Mickie is suffering with stage IV cancer, and that the prognosis is not good. I understand from Kathe that Mickie's college boyfriend from the singing group and her husband both died years ago from the same cancer. Is it contagious?

It took my breath away. The day I received the email, Kathe said that it was Mickie's 62nd birthday!!! Oh. My. Gosh!!! How did that happen? How can she be that old? Ooops, that means I'm that old too. Is that age old? Not according to my head.

I feel like this is an echo of Jayme's recent blog about the death of her dear friend and I don't mean to steal the thunder from her sad experience. I just needed to vent about this. It's been on my mind since I received Kathe's note. I'm sad about this. Sad for Mickie's family, for the life that's ebbing from her beautiful body and being, sad for our long gone youth (and, contrary to what most people say, I would love to have the chance to do it all over again), and sad that I will begin hearing stories like this about my friends and family more and more frequently.

I know that God is in control. I know that He numbers our days. I know that all our deeds were ordained for us before the world was created. I know that He loves me more than I can comprehend. And I know that my eternity with Him in heaven is going to be more than I "can think or imagine".

May Mickie know that security too. May she look forward to her new eternity in Heaven with the Author and Finisher of our lives. May she be comforted in this dark time of her life by the everlasting love of the Father, and the care and concern of her family and friends.

(this is not my photo post for today--check back later for that one)

3 comments:

J.L.Velez said...

Regardless of it not being your daily post, it is beautiful, Linda. I'll pray for your friend and her family. At the funeral yesterday, the pastor said some people believe that our lives only truly begin when we leave this place and become free of all of our imperfections. I like that idea, that our birthdays are actually at that moment. I also like that to God 1,000 year is like a day and a day, a 1,000 years. Time is something we contain, despise, and waste. It's true meaing is how we spend it, not how much we have of it.

Framing Images and Memories said...

Always sad to hear news of sickness and disease. Her photo shows such beauty and life and hopefully she will be able to use that energy as she continues to fight. Your genuine concern is obvious and your writing beautiful.

trishalyn said...

It's hard to add any more to what Jayme and Steve have already stated. I'm so sorry.